Vacancy posted: Wednesday, 6 Jun 2012
Based at Broomhill Industrial Estate you will contribute fully to the Development Applications Team who deliver a high quality Building Standards Service throughout East Dunbartonshire
Key duties and responsibilities include ensuring the effective provision of Building Standards services in fulfilling the Council's responsibilities and functions as a 'verifier' and as local authority under Building (Scotland) Act 2003. Engage with other members of the Building Standards team in these responsibilities, in providing excellent customer service and meeting performance targets and liaise with other members of the development applications team to provide cohesive, consistent and comprehensive approach to Member, developers and the public. Contribute to and implement the service/business and improvement plan for the Building Standards service and Development & Enterprise Group including a balanced scorecard for agreement with the Scottish Government in fulfilling the verifier function.
Candidates will have to demonstrate knowledge of legislative requirements, procedures and framework in relation to Building Standards system in Scotland, knowledge of legislative requirements and framework in relation to other functions delegated to the Building Standards service in particular Housing Grants, knowledge of building construction and design, and Health & Safety requirements. Candidates should have excellent communication skills both written and oral and a self-motivated attitude who is a good team player who can also work well on their own initiative.
An HNC in the Built Environment or other associated subject or experience of working in a role similar/relevant to the post is essential as well as a Full Driving Licence.
CHARTER OF COMMITMENT
The commitment by East Dunbartonshire Council to job applicants is as follows:
• Individuals will be treated in a polite, friendly and welcoming manner.
• Equalities monitoring will be conducted to ensure a fair and equitable process with screening being carried out to anonymise sensitive information such as age, gender and disability.
• The information that we receive will be treated in confidence and with discretion. Only the relevant HR representative/team and the relevant service will see the application form.
• We will encourage and welcome applications from applicants under the disability symbol. Where the essential criteria are met an interview will be offered to those applying under the disability symbol.
• We will be pleased to make any reasonable adjustments to ensure accessibility at the interview.
• We will advise you within reasonable time after the closing date if you have not met the interview criteria. (Normally within 4 weeks)
• We will advise you of meeting the criteria for interview normally within 3 weeks.
• We will advise you if you have been successful or unsuccessful at the interview stage as soon as practically possible.
Link to East Dunbartonshire Council website
Job Reference: EAD002319
Closing Date: 20-Jun-2012
About East Dunbartonshire Council
East Dunbartonshire lies to the north of Glasgow bounded by the Campsie Fells and the Kilpatrick Hills. It is a strategically significant location for economic, social and environmental development between the city and the gateway to the Highlands through the West Highland Way and eastwards through the Kelvin Valley. With a population of 104,570, East Dunbartonshire is in the mid-range of Scottish local authorities in terms of population and covers an area of 77 square miles. It comprises an attractive mixture of urban and rural areas that included the following suburban and rural settlements of Bearsden, Bishopbriggs, Kirkintilloch, Milngavie, Lenzie, Milton of Campsie, Lennoxtown, Torrance and Twechar.