Vacancy posted: Monday, 2 Jul 2012
Fire, Health and Safety Advisor
£25,000 plus excellent benefits
Sodexo Justice Services is a custodial services company with a reputation for delivering high quality services through its philosophy that everyone can develop and make changes for the better.
We are now recruiting for a Fire, Health and Safety Advisor at HMP Addiewell, West Lothian. Reporting to the Corporate SHEQ Manager you will also work with colleagues locally, and in the wider Sodexo Justice Services and Sodexo environments.
- Drafting the annual Safety Plan in agreement SHEQ manager and ensuring compliance with ISOs 9001 food safety, 18001 H&S, and relevant fire and H&S legislation.
- Identifies, manages, controls and reviews safety risks.
- Promotes the healthy prison concept through full compliance (evidenced as appropriate) with relevant legislation, policies, contractual targets, and standards with regard to environment, fire, and health & safety. Supporting managers in their promotion of a safety culture.
- Providing accurate and timely data, trend analyses, relevant training updates, and action plan reports to the SHEAT meetings and to the corporate SHEQ Manager.
- Reviews and develops prison safety strategy, policies and procedures to deliver continuous improvement within the contractual and financial frameworks; and contributes to, supports and develops those of the prison as a whole.
- Advises the Learning & Development Department on the delivery of the Fire, Health and Safety training modules for new and existing employees to ensure that they are aware of relevant Fire, Health & Safety legislation; their individual Health & Safety responsibilities; and arrangements within SJS.
- Ensuring that the Datix system for reporting and investigating accidents, incidents, Riddors and dangerous occurrences is used effectively, and that any shortcomings are brought to the attention of the prison Director and the corporate SHEQ manager.
- Properly records and reports all incidents; assists line managers with timely RIDDOR and accident investigations to establish and rectify root causes and prevent recurrence; and ensures that lessons learned are communicated to line managers and the corporate SHEQ manager.
- Conducting regular tours, inspections, and spot checks to ensure that line managers are taking appropriate action to control potential hazardous situations / unsafe conditions and are maintaining effective Risk, Manual Handling and COSHH assessments.
- Compling with fire safety legislation and regulations by: ensuring that fire safety risk assessments are up to date; that fire fighting equipment is inspected and maintained; that the fire alarm and detection systems are tested; conducting a planned programme of fire evacuations; conducting fire safety audits and inspections; investigating fire alarms and fire incidents; reporting as required on fire safety arrangements; ensuring that the fire safety training plan is implemented; maintaining fire safety policies.
- Minimum NEBOSH Dip (or working towards)
- Sound technical knowledge of relevant prison legislation, PSOs, Standards, inspection and audit processes; and relevant Fire and H&S legislation.
- Proven experience in a similar role.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement in a politicised environment..
- Good communication skills – internal and external.
- Good team player with sound interpersonal skills.
- Advanced IT skills in MS Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Contract knowledge and contract management skills.
- Knowledge of commercial financial management processes and procedures.
- Project management and Risk management skills.
- Access to company pension scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to Sodexo “Everyday Savings” discount scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Individual Learning & Development Programme
- Plus many other benefits
All applications are now received online. To apply please visit www.sodexojobs.co.uk and search by job title or using reference number SDX/TP/28/4
If you have any queries about this vacancy or if you are having issues applying please contact the HR Department, HMP Addiewell on 01506 874520 or alternatively email: Addiewell.email@example.com
The closing date for completed applications is Monday 16 July 2012.
Sodexo Justice Services runs rehabilitative justice services which change lives for the better at more than 120 sites across the world, including the full operation of four prisons in the UK. Our work around the world gives us unparalleled access to knowledge, expertise and best practice, which we share across our different operations. This helps us follow our vision to be the organisation of choice in providing both custodial and community based Justice Services. HMP Addiewell was opened in December 2008 and is a 796 place male prison run by Sodexo Justice Services for the Scottish Prison Service at Addiewell, near West Calder in West Lothian. Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Criminal Records Bureau (UK) and/ or Disclosure Scotland (Scotland).
Job Reference: SDX/TP/28/4