Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law.
Our people are our greatest asset. We bring together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice our clients need. How we share our knowledge across our business, and with our clients, is critical in delivering value to our clients.
We currently have 27 offices in 16 countries and a number of referral relationships that enable us to offer the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 420 partners and a further 1,450 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, we are able to respond to our clients wherever and whenever they need us.
Our clients value us for being approachable, astute and commercially minded. As a global team we have a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects, and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients in innovative ways.
Title: Conflicts Officer, Glasgow
Reporting to: Conflicts Supervisor/Senior Conflicts Analyst/Manager Conflicts Team/Head of New Business & Strategy
- Department: Director of Risk Management, Senior Compliance Lawyer/Manager Compliance Team, Compliance Lawyer and other members of the Team.
- Ashurst: partners, lawyers (and their secretaries) worldwide, Finance, IT and Business Development departments
- Externally: database providers, the SRA, the Law Society, the HM Treasury and other regulators
Based in Ashurst's Glasgow office
Hours: 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday, initially 09:00 – 17:30 before moving to a working 7.5 hours a day, between the hours of 08:00 – 19:00 on a rotating shift pattern to support business need.
You may be required to work additional hours to meet specific deadlines and/or facilitate project implementations.
Overview - Conflicts Officer:
Working as part of the Global Compliance Team responsible for the management of conflicts of interest and compliance issues across the firm’s global practice.
Working within a Team based in Glasgow responsible for a variety of new business approval tasks including the approval of matters and internal business requests for the firm, approving matter maintenance requests and the processing of low risk high frequency matters in accordance with Conflict and Risk Assessment regulatory requirements.
Role influences Ashurst's client income by:
- Ensuring the matter approval workflow is maintained
- Assisting the London, Australia and Singapore risk & compliance teams with day to day support required across the function, but with a focus on Conflicts and new business inception and matter maintenance.
- Analyse information in the firm’s conflict management systems and other databases and liaise with analysts, senior analysts and lawyers to identify any potential conflicts of interest relating to new matters and clients across all practice areas of the firm
- Develop current knowledge of the legal/regulatory requirements relevant to the Compliance Team
- Assist in the implementation of internal processes to support the Global Conflicts team in maintaining the Global matter clearance process.
- Liaise with partners and lawyers to collect information required for matter approvals
- Research relevant information sources and databases needed to identify and verify clients and party identities involved in new business requests
- Review spelling and accuracy of client names, party names and other names of entities or natural person associated with a matter approval request
- Undertake any additional research required using internal and external resources as necessary
- Determine nature of relationships between parties
- Ensure the maintenance of the conflicts database is current, accurate and complete
- Work with team members on the various live projects as required;
- Attend periodic training sessions in relation to, among other things, conflicts principles;
- Assist in continual education of the Firm in compliance processes and policies raising compliance awareness generally within the firm
- Working with other departments and 3rd party suppliers
Measurement and Review:
- Agreed KPIs for client and matter inception approvals
- Agreed deliverables for projects
- Feedback from colleagues and peers
- Annual professional development review
Essential skills and experience:
- Basic knowledge of Professional Conduct rules and client care principles, including but not limited to, ensuring the respect of a lawyer's core duties towards conflict of interests, understanding and assessing the duty of confidentiality and of disclosure
- An understanding of the nature of the work in a corporate multinational firm
- Keen interest in knowing the business and lateral/analytical thinking, exposure to firm-wide legal practices will involve exposure to various types of transactions
- Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and able to work well under pressure
- Computer literate
- Able to adapt to new processes and technology
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to liaise effectively with all level of legal and support staff to assist with the resolution of issues in a diplomatic manner
- Discretion essential to preserve confidential information
Desirable skills and experience
- Good judgement and business awareness
- Use of legal, business search engines and databases
- Working knowledge of Compliance Databases (Worldcheck and BvD preferable)
Desirable but not necessary
Education/ Qualification (or relevant experience)
- Preferred risk background from a multinational law firm working in the area of legal conflicts and familiarity with Solicitors Code of Conduct requirements
- Law degree or UK/Overseas legal qualification
Get email alerts
for similar jobs!
People who applied for this also applied for...
- Supply Venue Assistant, Linlithgow Burgh Halls and Howden Park Centre (367.70)West Lothian Council, west-lothian
- Catering Assistant (Bank Register)East Ayrshire Council, ayrshire-east
- Administrative AssistantThe Educational Institute of Scotland, edinburgh
- Packing Operator - NightshiftUnited Biscuits , glasgow
You have 0 shortlistedApply for all Clear shortlist