Van Driver (Fundraising & Retail)Vacancy posted: Wednesday, 28 September 2016
Salary: £15,000 pro rata (£9,600 for 24 hours per week)
Closing date: 23 October 2016
Job Title: Van Driver (Fundraising & Retail)
Reporting to: Fundraising Manager
Responsible for: Volunteer Transport Assistants
Location: Based at Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home, covering Edinburgh and the Lothians
Hours: 24 hours per week, Monday - Friday (including some Saturday’s for events if required), Permanent, part time
Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home has a 133-year history of reuniting and rehoming cats and dogs across Edinburgh & the Lothians. The arrival of a new Chief Executive has seen the development of a 5-year strategic plan for EDCH, with a view to becoming one of the leading animal welfare organisations in Scotland.
A vacancy has arisen within our busy fundraising and retail department for a part time van driver covering Edinburgh and the Lothians.
The post holder will manage the collection and transportation of donated goods to the home and our retail units, as well as assisting the fundraising team with the management of collection cans in the community and other transportation support as required.
This is a busy public facing role, therefore excellent organisation and communication skills are essential. The post holder will be required to transport goods of varying sizes and must be physically able to lift and manoeuvre heavy items as required.
You will also be responsible for a team of volunteer transport assistants, so the ability to lead and motivate volunteers is essential.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide a courteous, enthusiastic and helpful service to the public at all times - prompting volunteers where required
- Ensure the logistics of your day are planned out in advance to guarantee the most efficient route, ensuring that the delivery/collection and distribution system runs smoothly and professionally
- Regularly liaise with the fundraising and retail departments regarding required tasks for the day / week over and above standard pick-ups and deliveries
- Assist the Retail Manager with stock rotation between our charity shops
- Uplift donations of second hand goods for our charity shops as required
- Uplift donations of new goods (animal bedding, toys, food etc) for the Home from our retail partners as requested
- Delivery and uplift of charity collection cans and donation boxes from local businesses throughout Edinburgh and the Lothians
- Ad-hoc support to the operations team covering periods of annual leave and absence, assisting with the transportation of animals to and from veterinary appointments
- Liaising with the Retail Manager and operations team, provide consistent advice to the public regarding what donations we can, and cannot accept
- Attend team meetings and 1-1 catch ups with Fundraising Manager, which may occasionally fall out with regular trading hours
- Responsible for day to day supervision of volunteer transport assistants and the attendance rota, liaising with the Volunteer Coordinator where required
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure all volunteers receive an initial induction and thorough, consistent training as well as providing ongoing supervision, advice and support where appropriate
- Maintain an awareness of the charity’s aim as well as the details of any current or upcoming campaigns, promotions or events
- Knowledge and compliance of all health and safety legislation relating to your role, using risk assessments where required
- Complete daily van checks to identify any hazards or faults which you should then take steps to rectify or report to management
- Ensure the vehicle is serviced at regular intervals
- Must be willing to undertake training relating to your role where required including health and safety, moving and handling and customer service
- Maintain proper records of all deliveries / collections, completing all administrative paper work correctly and promptly
- Ensure vehicle is properly loaded getting maximum use from the available space, ensuring items are covered and tied down where appropriate to protect them from damage
- As the tasks and responsibilities of this post can be varied and at times unpredictable the post holder is expected to be flexible when tasks and responsibilities not covered by this document have to be undertaken
Education and Training
- Good level of basic education
- Experience of driving a van in either the commercial or third sector
- Experience of carrying out vehicle safety checks and risk assessments
- Experience of working with the public
- Experience of working within small to medium size charity
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Supervisory experience
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of people
- Good communication skills both written and verbal
- Confident in dealing with customer enquiries and issues
- Self-starter, able to use own initiative
- Good administrative and organisational skills
- Ability to effectively organise, prioritise, analyse and make clear judgements
- Ability to motivate others and maintain a positive environment
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Positive professional attitude
- Trustworthy, honest and reliable
- Enthusiastic, polite and approachable
- Must be physically fit and able to undertake all duties relating to moving and handling and driving
- Presentable appearance
- Full, clean, driving licence
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 1 November 2016.
*Successful applicant will be subject to the appropriate DBS check.
Get email alerts
for similar jobs!
People who applied for this also applied for...
- Full/part Time Mutistop DriversGeorge Anderson and Sons, edinburgh
- Driver Courier-Self EmployedGPS LOGISTICS LIMITED, edinburgh
- Customer Service AdvisorCCA Recruitment Group Ltd. , edinburgh
- Office AssistantApplication Recruitment Limited, musselburgh
- Administrator (Central Registry) ICAS, edinburgh
You have 0 shortlistedApply for all Clear shortlist