Company Creation ExecutiveVacancy posted: Thursday, 26 January 2017
Closing date: 20 March 2017
Sunergos Innovations is recruiting a Company Creation Executive to join the company at an exciting stage of its development. The role will include originating and assessing new commercialisation opportunities from our university partner, undertaking scientific and commercial due diligence on potential spin-out company projects and assessing their ability to generate high value investment returns.
Sunergos Innovations Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the University of Edinburgh. It is a commercialisation catalyst that transforms innovative and disruptive research into real returns for entrepreneurs and our university partner. Its business strategy is to provide the expertise, support and contacts to enable university Technology Transfer Offices to accelerate and strengthen the commercial impact generated from their scientific, medical and technology research. Sunergos currently focuses on two key business activities - Company Creation and Business Development.
The successful applicant is likely to have an academic background of a PhD or MBChB, with a demonstrable understanding of commercialisation in the life sciences industry. In particular, preferred candidates will have previous drug discovery and/or development experience, which could come either from strategy consulting or from experience in a pharma/biotech company. Ideally, they will also have knowledge of the venture capital sector and accessing translational funding from public sector bodies. Most importantly they will have a pro-active approach, an enthusiasm for early stage technology and an ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with leading academics, industry executives and our university partner.
To assist the Company Creation team in identifying, creating and spinning out start-up companies from University of Edinburgh and NHS Lothian.
- Assist the Company Creation team by delivering team and individual objectives in line with the Sunergos Innovations Business Plan and ensuring that these are delivered in a timely fashion.
- Work with Head of Company Creation and other Sunergos colleagues to identify and assess new deal flow opportunities from university partners; undertake IP, scientific and commercial due diligence on spin-out company projects, analyse their capital requirements and determine potential investment returns. Take an active role in the ‘incubation’ of early stage spin-out propositions working with members of the Sunergos team, academics and third parties as appropriate.
- Assist in decisions on equity and grant financing options for spin-out company projects and assist on initiation of and completion of applications to relevant grant funding bodies. Assist with management of grants to ensure deliverables are met in accordance with agreed project plans.
- Guide and support spin-out companies through the process of incorporation, management recruitment and fund raising (either from private investors or from government agencies such as Scottish Enterprise’s co-investment funds). Build relationships with and assist in the appointment of SME advisers such as IP lawyers and accountants.
- Working with the Head of Company Creation, liaise with local and national investor funds and networks (venture capitalists and business angels) with the objective of (i) pre-selling spin-out companies and obtaining investor feedback to assist with business plan development, (ii) assisting company management in raising initial funding capital and (iii) attracting new venture capital investment funds into Sunergos spin-outs.
Planning and Organising
The post holder will be a self-starting and highly organised individual with an ability to prioritise his/her time to work across a number of company projects running in parallel. These will range from conducting due diligence on initial company concepts to supporting activities of funded companies.
The post holder should develop their ability to think creatively to overcome challenges in the company formation process and evaluate options to keep projects in development.
The post holder should be able to make independent decisions to keep projects on track. However, it is also an important requirement that the post holder knows when to confer with his/her peers within the Sunergos team for advice or further input.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Needed for the Job
The successful applicant is likely to have an academic background of a PhD or MBChB with a demonstrable understanding of commercialisation in the life sciences industry. Knowledge of clinical drug development, private investment and the development of early stage innovation would be an added advantage. A pro-active approach and an ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with leading academics, industry executives, other investors and university partners is essential.
|Contact Name||Lorraine Jackson|
|Telephone||0131 242 9444|
|Contact Instructions||Please apply via www.ed.ac.uk/jobs vacancy ref 039072 Please send informal enquiries to Giles.Dudley@sunergosinnovations.com|
9 Little France Road
Edinburgh EH16 4UX
Get email alerts
for similar jobs!
You have 0 shortlistedApply for all Clear shortlist