CLEANER – NIGHT SHIFT ONLYVacancy posted: Wednesday, 11 May 2011
Salary: A (£13,565 - £14,622 per annum, equivalent to £7.15 - £7.70 per hour)
Closing date: 20 May 2011
ABERDEEN SPORTS VILLAGE
CLEANER – NIGHT SHIFT ONLY
Please see below for full job description. By clicking "Apply", you will be redirected to our website to complete your application form. Please note that application submitted without a completed application form will not be accepted.
THE CITY OF ABERDEEN
The city of Aberdeen is located in the Grampian Region. With the population approaching 250,000, Aberdeen is big enough to provide all the advantages of city life, yet compact enough to enjoy the more intimate atmosphere usually associated with small towns.
Aberdeen caters for a wide range of tastes in sporting and cultural activities. It is surrounded by areas of outstanding natural beauty, and yet is a major economic growth area which reflects the advanced technology associated with oil and gas exploration and production in the North Sea. The city is ideally suited for various outdoor activities including golfing, fishing, skiing, horse-riding, sailing and hillwalking. There are regular visits from national theatre companies and orchestras. Aberdeen has excellent communication services with other cities in the UK through its airport and high speed inter-city rail services. To find out more about Aberdeen and its surrounding area go to www.VisitScotland.com.
ABERDEEN SPORTS VILLAGE
Aberdeen Sports Village is a new, premier £28 million sports development for the north east of Scotland. The development is a partnership between the University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen City Council and sportscotland, and provides a wide range of high quality sports facilities and services for the community, students and elite athletes. The first phase of the development opened in August 2009, and includes the following facilities:
- Indoor and outdoor athletics
- Full size indoor football pitch
- Spacious fitness suite and performance gym
- Large sports hall
- Exercise studios
- Squash courts
- Water-based hockey pitch
- Outdoor grass football pitch
- Sports performance laboratory
The principal functions of the Sports Village are:
- To provide new state-of-the-art facilities accessible to everyone, supporting a range of excellent services to enhance health and well-being
- To provide opportunities for community participation at all levels in a wide variety of sports and activities, and to be the new home for sport for the University of Aberdeen
- To become the north-east centre of excellence for sport, providing a dedicated training base and support for elite athletes, and a venue for National level events
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This appointment will be made subject to the terms and conditions of employment of Aberdeen Sports Village.
Where appropriate to the post, ASV will request an Enhanced Disclosure check prior to employment, as part of their recruitment procedures.
The successful candidate will be placed at the appropriate point on the salary scale, with placement according to qualifications and experience.
This post is not on the current "shortage occupation" list and does not meet the minimum qualification requirements as issued by the Border and Immigration Agency therefore it will not qualify for a work permit. Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications from candidates for this post who require a work permit to work in the UK.
Completed application forms should be sent to:
By email to:
Or by post to:
Aberdeen Sports Village
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 20th May 2011
Please note that application submitted without a completed application form will not be accepted
Aberdeen Sports Village pursues a policy of equal opportunities in the appointment and promotion of staff.
To provide a comprehensive cleaning service for Aberdeen Sports Village.
Description of main duties
1. Provide a comprehensive cleaning service, following and adhering to work schedules.
2. Provide special cleaning services as detailed under core and non-core tasks.
3. Use and care of electrical equipment and cleaning materials, recognising and reporting faults and problems.
4. Ensure that the security of buildings and rooms cleaned are maintained at all times and that building faults and other occurrences are reported as necessary.
5. Ensure that Health & Safety instructions and current working practices are followed at all times.
6. Use good customer care practices, liaise with staff and customers and give guidance and assistance to visitors and contractors.
7. In order to meet Aberdeen Sports Village operational requirements and to maintain a safe, clean and secure facility you may be required, from time to time, to be flexible in your approach to work and to undertake any other reasonable duties as may be requested by your supervisor or line manager.
ABERDEEN SPORTS VILLAGE - PERSON SPECIFICATION
GRADE: A (£13,565 - £14,622 per annum, equivalent to £7.15 - £7.70 per hour)
1. EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS
Academic, technical and professional education and training
- Good command of the English language (spoken & written)
- City & Guilds 1 & 2 in Cleaning Building Interiors
- British Institute of Cleaning Science Proficiency Certificate.
- First Aid certificate.
2. WORK AND OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE (INCLUDING TRAINING)
e.g. Specialist knowledge, levels of experience, skills, supervisory experience, research
- Recent and relevant experience in cleaning techniques, materials, equipment and teamwork.
- Knowledge of COSHH
3. PERSONAL QUALITIES AND ABILITIES
e.g. Initiative, leadership, ability to work on own or with others, communication skills
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Conversant with relevant Health & Safety procedure and protocol.
- Good standard of personal cleanliness and tidiness and able to demonstrate the ability to relate this to the work required.
- Sound work attitude and ability to relate this to the requirements of both the cleaning service and building users.
- Ability to work under own initiative.
e.g. Special circumstances (if any) appropriate to the job such as unsocial hours, travelling, physical requirements etc.
- Full mobility and physically fit.
- Ability to work unsociable hours.
- Willingness to work shifts and some weekends.
About Aberdeen Sports Village
Aberdeen Sports Village opened in August 2009 and is the premier sports facility for the north east of Scotland. The development is a partnership between the University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen City Council and sportscotland, and provides a wide range of high quality sports facilities and services for the community, students and elite athletes. Facilities include indoor and outdoor athletics, full size indoor football pitch, spacious fitness suite and performance gym, large games hall, exercise studios, squash courts, water-based hockey pitch, outdoor grass football pitch and a performance and wellbeing centre. The ASV Aquatics Centre is now open, this facility will enable the city to host national and international competitions as well as playing a role in the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The new centre will offer a 10 lane 50m pool, a separate diving pool with full competition specification springboards, spectator seating, health suite and a bridge connecting the centre to the existing facilities.