Vacancy posted: Thursday, 21 Nov 2013
37 hours per week – Full time, Fixed Term Contract (6 months)
Founded in 1628, George Heriot’s School is an independent co-educational day school catering for around 1600 children from Nursery to Sixth Year. It has long been regarded as one of Scotland’s leading schools and is attractively situated in its own grounds near Edinburgh City Centre.
The vacancy of Janitor presents an exciting opportunity for an individual with initiative, interested in assisting pupils, staff and visitors and possessing the appropriate skills and willingness to contribute to this important area of the School’s Support Services.
Reporting to the Head of Support Services, via the Senior Janitor, the successful applicant will be one of a team of eight Janitors, whose main duties lie in security of people and the campus, preparation of premises for School activities and events (both routine and non-routine), traffic/ parking control and porterage. The Janitors have an increasingly important role in maintaining the security of the School and in the welcome provided to visitors to the site.
Duties of the Janitor will include:
- Opening and closing of the premises
- Welcoming pupils, staff, visitors and guests on campus and assisting with directions and escorting as required.
- Lifting, moving and transporting goods, furniture and equipment around campus and in relation to specific events- some heavy lifting will be required
- Implementing policies and procedures to ensure the security of all people on the School campus
- Attending out of hours for alarm activations as required
- Providing ancillary support to the day to day running of the School
- Implementation of all relevant Health and Safety procedures, e.g. Emergency evacuations.
- Traffic control - directing vehicles entering and exiting the campus and prevention of conflict with pedestrians
- Assisting with and participating in ceremonial occasions when required
- Ensuring that all relevant equipment is in a safe working condition and to assist with minor repairs as appropriate. Eg: light bulbs, locks etc.
- Monitoring of CCTV and alarms– including weekly Fire Alarm testing and records
- Fire Hazard checks and ensuring Fire Exists are not being obstructed
- Assisting with playground monitoring during breaks
- Assisting with minibus bookings, monitoring and basic servicing (eg: re-fuel, water etc.) plus driving duties.
- General assistance with clearing and disposal of litter and refuse if required
- Assisting with the organisation of waste uplift and removal as required
- Clearing of snow and ice from the playground, footpaths, steps and entrances.
We welcome applications from reliable and trustworthy candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Driving Licence with minibus and trailer entitlement (D1 and D1E).
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with people of all levels including Governors, staff, pupils and visitors, both in person and by telephone/radio.
- Ability to analyse requests, identify requirements and deal with problems.
- Ability to receive and relay information and work to targets and deadlines.
- Ability to work under instruction, both as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Basic knowledge and experience of implementing security and fire systems and procedures.
- Willingness to learn new skills and undertake training as required
- Basic computer skills – email, basic spread sheets and word documents.
- Ability to attend Campus, outwith hours, within 30 minutes
- First Aid qualification an advantage, but not essential.
- Training and experience of manual handling preferred.
- The position involves shift work as follows: Early: 6am to 2.00pm, Morning: 7.30am to 3.30pm; Day: 10.00am-6.00pm Late: 1.30pm to 9.30pm plus Saturday 8.00am to 12.00pm; (times are subject to review)
- Flexibility will be required in respect of working hours at busy times – particularly in relation to the facilitation of external events at evenings and weekends
- This post is considered Regulated Work with Vulnerable Children and/or Protected Adults, under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007. As such, the successful candidate will be required to have membership of the PVG Scheme.
Interested candidates are required to submit a completed application form (available on the School Website or by request) together with a cover letter and CV (if desired) to the address below.
George Heriot’s Trust is an Equal Opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all sections of the community.
George Heriot’s School is governed by George Heriot’s Trust, Scottish Charity number SC011463
Strictly No Agency Calls Please
Closing Date: 27-Nov-2013
About George Heriot's School
For 350 years George Heriotís School has served as one of Scotlandís most distinguished schools. Today, it flourishes as an independent co-educational day school. Children between 3 and 18, from in and around the city of Edinburgh, form a vibrant school community. Together with staff, parents, governors, alumni, and friends, Heriotís pupils hold true to the vision of Founder George Heriot. The school seeks to provide a caring, well-disciplined education. We encourage responsibility, a desire for excellence, and a love of learning. George Heriotís School welcomes children from all backgrounds. Each child comes with different gifts, and contributes in different ways. George Heriot's School is governed by George Heriot's Trust Scottish Charity number SC011463