Vacancy posted: Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Hudson Energy Infrastructure & Technical Mechanical Design Engineer Edinburgh £DOE
Mechanical Design Engineer
Excellent Salary & Benefits
We are recruiting for a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, electrical engineering design and project support services to the offshore, marine and defence markets worldwide.
Offshore experience includes designs for both new build and fast track conversion projects for a range of Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) units, Heavy Lift Vessels, Pipe Laying, Accommodation vessels. Marine experience includes new build and conversion projects for a range of specialist exploration, drilling, construction and support ships, while the company has an impressive pedigree in the design, engineering, construction and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
They are now recruiting a Mechanical Design Engineer reporting to the Director of Design and Tendering, based in Edinburgh on a full time permanent basis.
Main Tasks and Activities:
- Design of mechanical components associated with marine cargo plants and onshore facilities to code and classification requirements, principally for liquefied gas storage and handling. Ensuring safe and economical design is satisfied and striving for continuous improvement in the design aspects
- Piping design including calculations, layout, piping supports, etc
- Problem solving working with both internal colleagues and client to reach a resolve
- Production and checking of engineering documents such as:
- Equipment data sheets
- Material Lists
- Procedures Internal and Client
- Evaluating and approving of third party quotations and final design
- Liaison with other departments as required
- Be aware and act in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Attend meetings with both internal and external customers, providing a professional and quality design service
- Degree qualified in Mechanical Engineering (other relevant qualifications may be considered)
- 5 years experience in mechanical design or other relevant experience
- Preferably minimum of 2 years piping and pressure vessel design.
- Clear and confident communicator
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Highly motivated, paying particular attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal (particularly the English language due to the key interaction with clients whose main language is not English)
- Good working knowledge of Autocad/Autopipe, and Microsoft Office is required. Familiarity with ASME VIII div 1 & 2 and design codes such as ASTM, BS and EN codes
- Experience with pipe stress analysis, Autopipe and or Caesar II
- Working Knowledge of process and instrument diagrams (P&ID’s)
- Material selection
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work alone or as part of a multi-discipline team
There may be a requirement for international travel, including Korea, China and Saudi, to carry out commissioning and performance tests activities. There may also be the requirement to travel to meet clients, third party inspectors and vendors in certain instances.
Job Reference: Uk678570:S1
About Hudson Energy Infrastructure & Technical
Please note you will receive an automated response advising you that we have received your CV. Hudson is a leading provider of permanent recruitment, contract professionals and talent management solutions worldwide.