Legal PA - 9 Month Contract - GlasgowVacancy posted: Wednesday, 12 October 2016
Salary: £21,000 - £23,000
Closing date: 26 October 2016
Job Title: Legal PA
Department: Construction, Advisory & Disputes
Length: 9 month fixed term contract (maternity cover)
Hours of work: 09.00 – 17.00 hrs (some flexibility around start and finish times may be required).
Reports To: Lawyers/Team Co-ordinator
Purpose of the role
To provide proactive and professional PA/administrative/secretarial support to a large group of lawyers. It is important that secretarial services are delivered to the business in a manner which is consistent with the increasingly competitive environment in which the firm operates. This role is intended to embrace a team-working approach, collaborating with lawyers and other members of support staff to fulfil the needs of the business. In addition to being assigned to a number of specific lawyers, it is expected that a Legal PA will work with every member of the team to ensure that the overall needs of the practice group are met.
The Team: Construction, Advisory & Disputes (CAD)
This role is supporting 16 fee earners within CAD – 4 partners, 1 legal director, 3 senior associates, 2 associates, 3 solicitors, 1 legal analyst, 2 trainee solicitors. The number of lawyers that the role supports may increase and change from time to time.
All PAs within the team support all fee earners as and when required. There is one part-time PA on the team, who works Monday to Thursday (9.30am – 5pm).
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Your responsibility to deliver excellent service to our clients
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with clients and their teams and developing knowledge of the Group's clients and their business
- Actively contributing to client service initiatives in the group, including attending client events and seminars where required.
Planning & Organisation
How you use your organisational skills to ensure the lawyers you work with have the information they need on a daily basis
- Liaising regularly (at least on a weekly basis) with lawyers to identify lawyers' work commitments and prioritising your workload accordingly
- Arranging meetings and appointments for lawyers, both internally and externally, ensuring the Outlook diary is up to date and holds all the necessary information in relation to the appointment including taking responsibility for booking travel, meeting rooms and arranging for necessary equipment and refreshments
- Proactive advance monitoring of lawyers' diaries, reminding lawyers of diary commitments and taking responsibility for ensuring that lawyers have all supporting paperwork and necessary information for each meeting or appointment
- Liaising with the travel company to make travel and accommodation arrangements, keeping lawyers advised of any changes in scheduling and ensuring they have an accurate and up to date itinerary and all the relevant travel details are in their Outlook calendar
- Liaising with support departments to resolve problems on lawyers' behalf and taking ownership of the issue, following up where appropriate
How you assist lawyers in their communications with colleagues and clients
- Taking ownership of answering lawyers' telephone calls when they are unavailable, taking accurate messages and passing them on promptly, trying to assist and answer any non-legal queries if possible and ensuring the caller receives a satisfactory response
- Screening, prioritising and dealing with lawyers' incoming e-mails, post and voicemail when lawyers are out of the office, acknowledging receipt and responding where able and appropriate
- Management and co-ordination of lawyers' e-mails, including electronic filing and printing
- Preparing presentation slides and materials for internal/external meetings and seminars
- Drafting short letters, memos or notes (non legal content) in a literate and professional manner
Document & File Management
How you ensure that the documentation we produce is of the highest quality and our files are accurate and up to date
- Managing production of documents (produced in-house and externally), co-ordinating changes made including taking responsibility for the consistency of those documents (e.g., formatting, numbering, CompareDocs etc), utilising Exigent (the firm's transcription provider) wherever possible
- Managing audio typing by Digital Dictation, drafting correspondence, producing documents/letters/e-mails and memos, utilising Exigent wherever possible, taking responsibility for collating correspondence and enclosures
- Acting as a point of liaison between lawyers and Exigent, taking responsibility for clarifying any queries raised by Exigent and printing and collating work returned by Exigent. Again, this won't be rolled out until full training is given and we anticipate this will be a steady process to bring everyone in line with PM PAs
- Opening client files, including completing conflict searches and money laundering checks in conjunction with lawyers, preparation of client engagement letters, collating all the relevant information required and maintaining client files on a day to day basis, including filing where required
- Undertaking regular reviews of files and papers for lawyers, checking account balances and liaising with lawyers to ensure that all files which are not current are archived and deeds are put in storage
- Taking complete responsibility for any copying, faxing or scanning required by lawyers, including preparation of large files, bibles or bundles of documents (hard copy and electronic), including pagination and indexing
Business Development/Relationship Management
How you can contribute to developing the firm's business and maintaining excellent relationships with our clients and potential clients
- Working in conjunction with the Business Development Team to ensure a consistent approach across office, practice groups and sectors is maintained.
Billing, Financial & Project Management
How you can assist lawyers in managing their matters/projects and utilise our systems to the maximum benefit
- Attending internal client or project meetings to take notes and assisting in action points if required
- Production of pre-bills, amending narratives, producing cover letters
- Preparation and submission of lawyers' expenses, including chasing lawyers for receipts and mileage information following meetings and business trips and following up on authorisations
- Creating and maintaining plans on Smartplan (our inhouse project management tool)
- Taking responsibility for producing contact sheets or parties lists for each file, keeping these up to date and updating the relevant lawyer's Outlook address book
- Assisting lawyers with the billing process, agreeing in advance dates for billing, requesting pre-bills, drafting narratives and covering letters and putting paperwork in front of lawyer for sign off
- Utilising Aderant to assist lawyers with financial queries and subscribing to relevant alerts in order to provide information to lawyers and produce client reports
- Developing good knowledge of the firm's accounts procedures, completing cheque requisitions, TT and BACS authorisations and processing client monies and ensuring all the supporting paperwork is completed promptly and accurately with partner authorisation
The role is very varied, a complete 50/50 split between admin/organisation and document/client work. There is also the usual business development and events involved and the right candidate must be confident in assisting at client events. There is also an element of preparing bundles, formatting documents, filing emails, hard copy filing, travel bookings, monthly billing, reporting etc. They must be a team player and be willing to cover other PAs in their absence.
A strong litigation background would be an advantage.
The ideal candidate will have a flexible and adaptable approach to work. They will be reliable and hardworking, remain calm when working under pressure, must be able to work to tight deadlines and will work well within a team.
The nature of the role also requires a self-starter who is extremely organised, proactive, responsive and able to work on their own initiative.
|Contact Name||Shelley Yeomans|
|Telephone||0121 260 4099|
|Address||3 Colmore Circus
About Pinsent Masons Services Ltd
Pinsent Masons is an ambitious firm distinguished by its depth of knowledge, experience and strategic commitment to specialist market sectors. Our pioneering approach to client service, and a sector based approach, has fuelled our rapid growth and expansion with every member of our team contributing to building and sustaining the client relationships that have made us successful.
There is no one size fits all approach - we reward our people for their hard work and we can offer individuals the levels of responsibility, depth, scope and opportunities to meet their full potential in their chosen career.
Get email alerts
for similar jobs!
People who applied for this also applied for...
- Supply Venue Assistant, Linlithgow Burgh Halls and Howden Park Centre (367.70)West Lothian Council, west-lothian
- Catering Assistant (Bank Register)East Ayrshire Council, ayrshire-east
- Administrative AssistantThe Educational Institute of Scotland, edinburgh
- Packing Operator - NightshiftUnited Biscuits , glasgow
You have 0 shortlistedApply for all Clear shortlist