Advocacy Worker (Fixed Term)Vacancy posted: Friday, 6 July 2012
Salary: £26,331 - £28,680
Closing date: 15 July 2012
Job ref. no.: GLA001162
ASSIST, the specialist domestic abuse support and advocacy project, is expanding across the Strathclyde Police Force area. ASSIST works closely with statutory and voluntary services to deliver a pro-active, rapid and stream-lined response to those affected by domestic abuse. Working in close partnership with Strathclyde Police to a model that balances risk and safety, ASSIST’s ethos of placing the client at the centre of any intervention is crucial.
ASSIST is now recruiting staff to join the team in a variety of locations across Strathclyde and an opportunity has arisen for 15 Advocacy Workers. The main purpose of this role will be to provide a sensitive, pro-active short to medium term advocacy, support and information service, primarily by telephone, to victims/survivors of domestic abuse who are referred to ASSIST, focussing on those most at risk.
The postholders will be required to:
• Receive referrals from the police, or other partner agencies, and contact the victim/survivor within 24 hours to offer crisis intervention, risk assessment, safety planning and information.
• Provide additional support to those ASSIST clients most at risk where a case is proceeding through a specialist domestic abuse court and/or the victim/survivor is assessed as being at high risk of further abuse.
• Work in partnership with other relevant agencies on behalf of victims/survivors and to monitor their support pathway, including undertaking joint visits.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate:
• Previous experience of providing a direct service to abuse survivors, including crisis intervention, assessment of risk, safety planning, multi-agency advocacy, support and information.
• An understanding of the dynamics, impact and scale of domestic abuse and other forms of gender based violence.
• An understanding of current legislation, policy initiatives and best practice in relation to child protection.
• An ability to recognise and maintain professional boundaries.
• Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise under pressure and to work to tight deadlines.
These posts are currently funded until 31 March 2014.
Membership of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme will be essential on taking up appointment.
Please note successful candidates for the above position will be required to pay for their PVG Membership/or Scheme Checks. Interviews for these posts will be scheduled between 6 – 14 August 2012.
Location: Company Headquarters, 727 London Road, Glasgow, G40 3AP
Salary: £26331.00 - £28680.00
Applying for this vacancy
If you are interested in this job and would like to apply, we prefer you to complete the online application form by clicking on the apply now button below.
Alternative Application Packs can be requested in other formats for example, Large Print, Braille, Audio and other languages. To request an alternative Application Pack please phone 0845 270 1078
Packs will be posted out to you within 3 working days of receiving your telephone request
Please note the closing date of the job advert to ensure that you give yourself plenty of time to complete your application form and return it to us.
For further information about working for us please click on the link below to be taken to our website
More About Us
About Glasgow City Council and Associated Organisations
Glasgow City Council as Scotland's largest local authority has 24,000 employees, manages a gross annual budget in excess of £2,000 million and delivers a range of services including: • education • environmental health • catering and cleaning • cleansing • roads and ground maintenance • construction • financial, legal, cultural and leisure services • business development • social work Our visions We have two visions, which explain what we want to achieve. One is for our customers, the people of Glasgow, and the other is for our employees. For our customers, we want to: • 'create a prosperous city for all Glaswegians'. For our employees we want to: • 'inspire them to make the difference every day' Our values Our visions set out what we want to achieve. Our values help to explain how we will achieve them. Our drive for success is reflected in these values.