Professor In Precision AgricultureVacancy posted: Friday, 14 October 2016
Salary: úProfessorial Scale
Closing date: 07 November 2016
Job ref. no.: R/FFS/091/16
PROFESSOR IN PRECISION AGRICULTURE
Edinburgh / Dumfries
Salary based on Professorial scale for suitably qualified applicants Ref: R/FFS/091/16
SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
Applications are invited for this full time post based in SRUC’s Future Farming Systems Group, with an initial focus on projects in both the Beef & Sheep Research Centre (Edinburgh) and Dairy Research and Innovation Centre (Dumfries).
We are seeking an experienced senior engineer to operate at the interface of technology developments and the biology of farming systems whilst pursuing a cutting-edge engineering research programme in their own area of expertise. Ideally, a candidate will be of suitable standing for appointment as SRUC Professor in Precision Agriculture.
The successful applicant will:
- Pursue a cutting-edge research programme in their area of engineering expertise.
- Work with industry, particularly companies involved in Agri-EPI Centre Ltd., to develop and deliver precision agriculture applications relevant to the full range of land-based industries.
- Work with other senior colleagues to deliver a renewed dairy research and innovation platform with a powerful and synergistic combination of world-leading animal genetics, production systems and precision agriculture research.
- Develop strong collaborations with SRUC and other experts worldwide in biological and agricultural sciences, as well as ‘big data’, to develop programmes to address important industry challenges. The applications most complementary to SRUC strengths will be in developing novel approaches to phenotyping livestock and crops (including forages), as well as monitoring crop health and livestock health/welfare.
- Lead the development and delivery of precision agriculture content in Higher Education courses – introduction to key technologies and applications across arable and livestock systems.
Further information can be found in the Job Particulars document available for download as part of the application process.
To be considered for this role you should possess the following:
- Primary qualification in general engineering or an engineering discipline (e.g. mechanical engineering, (bio)electronic engineering or communications engineering).
- Substantial post-graduation research experience (PhD, post-doctoral and/or industry-based research) in the application of some of: sensor technologies, robotics, satellite communications, remote sensing and imaging to primary agricultural production.
- Strongly entrepreneurial approach, evidenced by having worked in (or closely with) industry, as well as patent activity.
- International networks and experience needed to develop global as well as national responses in this field.
This position is full time and permanent.
Closing date: 7 November 2016
SRUC Leading the way in Agricultural and Rural Research,
Education & Consultancy
SRUC is committed to valuing Diversity, advancing Equality and respecting Human Rights throughout the organisation and encouraging applications from disabled people using the “Two Ticks – Positive about Disabled People” symbol. SRUC is a member of the Athena SWAN charter.
SRUC A Charitable company limited by guarantee, SC003712. Registered in Scotland No. C103046
Scotland's Rural College (SRUC) is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors through combining Research with Education and Consultancy.
1,500 staff, 6 campuses, 8 farms, 25 specialist consulting offices, 6 research centres, 8 veterinary surveillance centres throughout Scotland and the north of England, 2,500 full time and 6,000 part time students, 12,000 consultancy clients.
We wish to become the UK's leading agriculturally-focused Higher Education Institution, with increased global links and impact with studies available from access level right up to PhD.
SRUC is committed to valuing Diversity, advancing Equality and respecting Human Rights throughout the organisation and encouraging applications from disabled people using the "Two Ticks - Positive about Disabled People" symbol. SRUC is a member of the ATHENA SWAN charter.
SRUC. A Charitable company limited by guarantee, SC003712. Registered in Scotland No SC103046
You have 0 shortlistedApply for all Clear shortlist