40 more jobs at city rail depot after it lands £24m windfall
A Glasgow rail depot is to create another 40 jobs after landing a £24million windfall.
The construction posts are in addition to 130 ScotRail jobs that were announced last year for the planned expansion of the Shields Road train depot.
The cash has been made available by Transport Scotland to enable construction works to begin next month on a new purpose-built train maintenance and overhaul facility.
The rail carriages are due to start coming into service from September 2010, adding more than 9000 passenger seats to the rail network.
Scottish Transport Minister Stewart Stevenson announced the extra cash today.
He said: "The Shields Road depot is set to expand over the coming months to accommodate the new fleet of Class 380 electric trains due to come into service in autumn next year.
"These trains will be at the cutting edge of rail technology and will deliver real benefits for passengers through improved facilities and 9000 additional seats.".
Steve Montgomery, ScotRail's managing director, said: "Once construction of the depot is completed and the new fleet is housed at the expanded depot facilities, the extra trains will enhance services in west Scotland by providing extra capacity on Ayrshire, Inverclyde and Renfrewshire routes."
Transport Scotland has already agreed to provide £180m for the new fleet .
First ScotRail will then lease them out on a 17-year operating contract.
The fleet will be maintained at First ScotRail's Shields Road depot.
The new trains, supplied by Siemens Transportation Systems, will also run passenger services on the forthcoming Glasgow Airport Rail Link.
The trains will be air-conditioned, with disabled access, cyclist provision and CCTV.
Other Scottish jobs news
- s1jobs partners with The Student Advertiser
- Entries for the s1jobs Recruitment Awards is now open!
- Making the most of Scotlands employment boom
- Waitrose to create 2,000 jobs
- Barrhead invests in continued expansion
- New restaurant opening at the Glasgow Fort creating 40 jobs
- Lidl plan to expand as sales continue to build
- s1jobs to support the FIRM at In-house Recruitment Scotland Conference
- Fantasy sports firm to create jobs
- 105 jobs on offer at Glasgow mall