John Lewis creates 200 new jobs in Hamilton
A major retailer is creating 200 jobs at one of its centres in Scotland.
John Lewis said the new posts will take its Hamilton Technology Park contact centre to full capacity.
The jobs will support gift list services and customer orders, taking the number of staff at the centre to 650 by the end of the year.
Lesley Ballantyne, director of operational development, said: "Our decision to add roles in Hamilton is a testament to our confidence in Scotland as a great place to recruit and retain the high-quality partners we need to deliver excellent service for our customers."
Finance Secretary John Swinney, who was invited to visit the centre, said: "This contact centre project, originally supported with £700,000 of Scottish Government assistance to create 450 jobs, will now add a further 200 jobs for the area.
"I welcome this vote of confidence in the local workforce and John Lewis commitment to its operations in Hamilton."
Meanwhile, independent travel group Barrhead Travel is doubling the number of staff at its Glasgow call centre.
The extra 50 staff will help support the creation of five branches this year.
The latest announcement increases its workforce to 550 employees across Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Chief executive Sharon Munro said: "The last 12 months have been extremely successful for the firm, only highlighted by a rapid expansion with 10 new stores opened across Scotland and Northern Ireland and staff numbers up by 25%."
Other Scottish jobs news
- The Scottish Energy Careers Festival 2014
- Fast-food chain lines up new jobs in Motherwell
- 600 jobs to be created in new retail complex plan
- Job boost by Glasgow web design firm
- New roles will be created at Scottish Gas contact centres in Edinburgh and Uddingston
- GLASGOW'S East End is set for a mini jobs boost
- Engineering firm to create almost 400 jobs in Renfrew
- Engineering specialist has announced plans to create up to 40 jobs
- Discount retailer Aldi is creating over 60 jobs in the North East of Scotland
- Hotels set for growth after big deal in Aberdeen