New Tesco superstore will bring 300 jobs to Linwood
A MULTI-MILLION pound plan to revamp a failing town centre by turning it into a massive Tesco superstore moved a step closer after the local council involved agreed to sell land to the supermarket giant.
The plan, for Linwood in Renfrewshire, has been subject to lengthy delays, but councillors yesterday signed off a £1.5 million deal which should make the project a reality.
Tesco is promising to develop a supermarket which will provide 300 jobs, along with new community facilities including a library and a community centre.
The final details of the planning consent will now be signed off in the next few days. An announcement is also expected in the next few weeks on a start date for demolition of the existing centre and building work on the supermarket and new facilities.
Tony McElroy, corporate affairs manager for Tesco, said: “I am delighted that we are now in a position to progress.
“Our plans will provide shoppers with the value and choice that they deserve, in addition to creating hundreds of local job opportunities.
“We will work closely with Renfrewshire Council to ensure that we can make quick progress on demolition and construction.”
Renfrewshire Council leader Brian Lawson said: “This agreement represents a major vote of confidence in Linwood’s future.
“It’s taken some time but I am sure the wait will be worthwhile. The investment will bring new jobs and new community facilities.
“When we also consider Renfrewshire Council’s £23m investment in Linwood community sports hub which is due to open in 2013, these are exciting times for Linwood.”
The deal is a major part of a planned expansion for Tesco in Renfrewshire, with the firm’s plans for Wallneuk in Paisley also progressing well bringing the prospect of a further 500 jobs being created there over the next 18 months.
Other Scottish jobs news
- Cordant People launches in Scotland to meet growing jobs demand
- The Needle to co-host s1jobs Recruitment Awards 2015
- s1jobs partners with The Student Advertiser
- Entries for the s1jobs Recruitment Awards is now open!
- Making the most of Scotlands employment boom
- Waitrose to create 2,000 jobs
- Barrhead invests in continued expansion
- New restaurant opening at the Glasgow Fort creating 40 jobs
- Lidl plan to expand as sales continue to build
- s1jobs to support the FIRM at In-house Recruitment Scotland Conference