New Tesco superstore will bring 300 jobs to Linwood
A MULTI-MILLION pound plan to revamp a failing town centre by turning it into a massive Tesco superstore moved a step closer after the local council involved agreed to sell land to the supermarket giant.
The plan, for Linwood in Renfrewshire, has been subject to lengthy delays, but councillors yesterday signed off a £1.5 million deal which should make the project a reality.
Tesco is promising to develop a supermarket which will provide 300 jobs, along with new community facilities including a library and a community centre.
The final details of the planning consent will now be signed off in the next few days. An announcement is also expected in the next few weeks on a start date for demolition of the existing centre and building work on the supermarket and new facilities.
Tony McElroy, corporate affairs manager for Tesco, said: “I am delighted that we are now in a position to progress.
“Our plans will provide shoppers with the value and choice that they deserve, in addition to creating hundreds of local job opportunities.
“We will work closely with Renfrewshire Council to ensure that we can make quick progress on demolition and construction.”
Renfrewshire Council leader Brian Lawson said: “This agreement represents a major vote of confidence in Linwood’s future.
“It’s taken some time but I am sure the wait will be worthwhile. The investment will bring new jobs and new community facilities.
“When we also consider Renfrewshire Council’s £23m investment in Linwood community sports hub which is due to open in 2013, these are exciting times for Linwood.”
The deal is a major part of a planned expansion for Tesco in Renfrewshire, with the firm’s plans for Wallneuk in Paisley also progressing well bringing the prospect of a further 500 jobs being created there over the next 18 months.
Other Scottish jobs news
- The Scottish Energy Careers Festival 2014
- Fast-food chain lines up new jobs in Motherwell
- 600 jobs to be created in new retail complex plan
- Job boost by Glasgow web design firm
- New roles will be created at Scottish Gas contact centres in Edinburgh and Uddingston
- GLASGOW'S East End is set for a mini jobs boost
- Engineering firm to create almost 400 jobs in Renfrew
- Engineering specialist has announced plans to create up to 40 jobs
- Discount retailer Aldi is creating over 60 jobs in the North East of Scotland
- Hotels set for growth after big deal in Aberdeen