Bridge Engineer (Major Bridges)
Bear Scotland Ltd, Inverness
- Full time
- Hybrid working
Posted 3 weeks ago, 8 Feb | Get your application in now before you miss out!
Closing date: Closing date not specified
job Ref: None
Full Job Description
BEAR Scotland inspect, manage and maintain over 2500km of Scotland’s truck road network including 1500 trunk road structures in the North West of Scotland for our client, Transport Scotland. We work in some of the most scenic but challenging parts of the country on a variety of structures including historical masonry arch bridges, culverts and walls as well as numerous iconic major structures such as Kessock, Skye, Connel and Dornoch Bridges.
An opportunity has arisen within BEAR Scotland’s North West Bridges Team for a Bridge Engineer to work in our Inverness office. The role would involve working in the Major Bridges team assisting with the project management, inspection, investigation, design, procurement and supervision of the maintenance works programme, and updating of records including Health & Safety files and Operation & Maintenance manuals. Candidates with suitable knowledge and experience as a Graduate or Senior Bridge Engineer will also be considered for a suitable position.
Accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers, BEAR operate a training scheme and can offer support to Engineers wishing to become professionally qualified. Candidates should hold a degree in Civil Engineering and have experience relevant to the role.
We are looking for self-motivated individuals who are interested in helping to manage the delivery of a diverse programme of work. The successful candidates will have good communication skills, be flexible and hold a valid driving licence.
The Bridge Engineer will assist Senior or Principal Engineers with day-to-day activities relating to the management and maintenance of the NW unit major bridges. Responsible for the completion of allocated work to technical standard, to programme and budget.
Responsibilities and Activities include (but are not restricted to):
- Outline and detailed design of bridge maintenance projects and the production and retention of design records
- Detailed design to current DMRB, MCHW, Eurocodes, British Standards
- Delivering allocated work on time and within budget, planning and scheduling of workload
- Comply with Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality procedures that form part of the company’s Integrated Management Systems
- Ensure appropriate environmental compliance, screening, mitigation measures
- Tender document compilation
- Update structural records through the clients’ structures management systems.
- Assist with effective monitoring and control of costs
- Assist with establishing good relationships with the client, customers and other key stakeholders e.g. emergency services, local authorities, utility companies.
- Assist with media releases, answering of correspondence
- Assist with undertaking the Designer’s role in accordance with the CDM Regulations and the drafting of appropriate risk assessments, method statements
- Assist with the production of Health & Safety Information packs
- Assist with the management and site supervision of sub-contractors
- Assist others within the Bridges Teams as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- University degree in Civil Engineering
- Relevant experience in the field
- Practical working knowledge of the DMRB, MCHW and associated design standards
- A full approved UK driving licence.
BEAR Scotland currently manages, maintains and improves 1962km of Scottish trunk road including over 2000 bridges and structures through some of the most scenic, but challenging, parts of the country. That means delivering £million investment on road maintenance and improvement every year.
We believe that the people who work with us are our greatest asset and, in order for us to succeed, we make sure we retain and attract a talented, innovative and dedicated team. In return, we offer:
- A tailored, competitive salary
- Pension and life assurance
- Up to 34 days annual leave per year
- Additional annual leave purchase through Salary Sacrifice
- 2 paid days per year to help to support your charity of your choice
- BEAR Rewards – shopping discounts and cashback
- Employee Assistance Programme available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Development and progression plan
Grow your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, flourish, and succeed.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We wish to ensure equality of opportunity in employment and the fair treatment of all our employees.